Saturday, March 20, 2010

Later that day...

So after Andrea and I were done bawling our eyes out in the parking lot, I decided to head over to Missy's house.  She watched Hope while I was at work everyday.  I seriously felt like I was in the middle of a movie.  I walk in and am immediately greeted by three kids vying for my attention.  They are eating lunch and I sat down at the table with them.  Three boys... ages 5, 4, and 2.5.  The 5 and 4 year olds were acting like the kid from Jerry Maguire... just feeding me useless facts in a rapid fire fashion.  To quote that kid from Jerry Maguire, "Did you know my neighbor has 6 rabbits?  Did you know the human head weighs 8 lbs?" So you get the point.  I made myself a PB&J and continued letting them talk at me at the table.  I will be the first to admit that dealing with kids is not one of my strong suits... especially boys at this age.  They are like little aliens to me.  Then the two year old boy was trying to communicate to me but this was not a language I spoke.  I know he was trying to tell me something about Monster Trucks, but beyond that I don't have a clue.  I texted Andrea and told her I just arrived at the funny farm.  (BTW, Hope was napping through this)

Thankfully not too long after lunch the preschool boys went off to school and I was left with Missy and the under 2.5 year old crowd which seems more my speed.  It was actually a very nice afternoon filled with playing outside, going for a walk, just relaxing and hanging out with the kids and Missy.  It was nice to get my mind off things even though I was still in disbelief.

Andrea came by on her lunch hour and told me about how the boss had met with them just before lunch to explain what had just happened.  She said he was visibly upset by it and that he said these weren't just anybody that he had to let go, these were friends that everyone had gotten to know.  That was nice.  He was a great boss and I honestly feel bad that he had to do that because I know it wasn't his decision, but part of me feels better knowing he felt bad too.  :)

My day with little alien munchkins did not end there.  Of alllllll days, Dusty's work was having a gathering at Chuck E Cheese in Grand Rapids.  So after my afternoon at Missy's, I took Hope and joined Dusty there.  I honestly thought it was going to be hell.  We walked in and Hope got half way through the place and just broke down crying.  By the time we got to our table, Hope was sobbing.  Dusty's co-worker said, "Just wait till the animatronic Chuck E Cheese comes out... then she'll be REALLY freaked out."  He no sooner got the words out and out came the giant mouse.  To our surprise, Hope was calmed by this beastely singing creature and completely mezmorized.  From that point on she had the time of her life!

It turned out to be a great time and I was able to keep my mind off of everything.  That was until we ran into our financial planner.  He asked how we have been, we politely said "good", he said "everything going good then?" and then I let him know that I had just lost my job that day.  He told us that his wife just lost hers in October and still hadn't found a job yet.  They asked 20 questions about what I was going to do now to which I had no answers for.  I was still in shock and hadn't even begun to think of what I was going to do. 

We left Chuck E Cheese and headed home.  I was then left alone with my thoughts for the first time that day.  Reality was starting to set in that I wasn't going to get up for work the next morning.  It just felt weird.  I have no clue what it feels like to not work.  Guess I have been left with no choice though.  Next week should be interesting when I have an entire week to test it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment