Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Yes, I invited celebrities to my wedding

My husband and I got married back in 2006.  During the wedding invitation addressing process we had just six invitations left after all of our friends and family had been invited.  Instead of just letting those invitations go to waste, or keep in a keepsake box that we'll never look at again, we decided to send them out into the universe to some of our favorite celebrities that we felt MIGHT possibly respond.  We knew none would actually show up to the wedding in our hometown of Muskegon, MI, but we thought even if just one returned the RSVP card with the decline checked that, in and of itself would be cool. 

So earlier this week we met one of our favorite rockers Matt Nathanson during a "Meet and Greet" after his concert at Frederick Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids.  What do you say to someone famous during these awkward Meet and Greets?  This isn't the first time we've met Matt (probably our third or fourth) and we've encountered other celebrities/singers in the past as well.  You have two seconds to say something, someone snaps a picture, and then they move on to the next person.  So I decide to clumsily blurt out "we invited you to our wedding in 2006."  To which, Matt responded the only way any celeb could to this awkward declaration "oh and you're still married, congratulations on your long nuptials!" Husband and I both giggled, said thanks, photo snapped, and he moved on to the next person.


It got me thinking though about the people who we invited then and who I may have wanted to invite if our wedding was today instead.  So here are the chosen six of who we invited:

1.  Matt Nathanson - my husband was a huge fan of his music for years and would send me his songs during his courtship with me.  Granted, they were very dark, depressing songs, but I loved them as much as he did.
2006 looking Matt Nathanson

2. The Cast of How I Met Your Mother - The show had only had one season at the time and we were hooked.  The funniest show to come out for our generation, we felt there was so much to it that we could relate to.
How I Met Your Mother

3. Jeff Daniels - Hails from Michigan, and love his work.  Thought he might not have anything going on and could pop on over for a wedding.  Worth a shot, right?

Jeff Daniels
4. Jeff Bridges - The Dude abides.  Seriously.... he's the dude... no explanation needed.

Jeff Bridges

5. Andy Richter - I have a massive crush on Conan O'Brien and since I figured he was too huge to respond, I would invite his trusty sidekick who I believe was born in Grand Rapids, MI.  Truth be told, I really do like Andy though and think he's just as bit as funny as Conan.

Andy Richter
6.  ??????????????  And we both can't remember who the sixth celebrity was that we invited!!  If it comes to me I will edit this entry and add the person.

Now that we have been married for coming up on eight years, I think about how this list would change, or be added to, if we were to do it today.

I would add Mark Rufalo as a celebrity that I respect for his advocacy for the environment and climate change awareness.  Seth Glier who we have seen seven times in concert in the last couple years.  We have a deep respect for not only his songwriting ability, but also his character.  Emma Stone because she's someone that young girls should look up to - smart, funny, and talented - and I just thoroughly enjoy her.  And lastly Pharrell Williams because he just seems like an all round nice and humble man, on top of being crazy talented.

I know the people listed on here are not necessarily the conventional celebrities that if someone could have show up at a wedding they would be the one, but for whatever reason they have touched our hearts.  Who is a celebrity you would want to hang out with for a day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment